Joined: 14 Jun 2005
|Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:41 pm Post subject: Fall Fest - Webmaster Newsletter - October 2010
|View this newsletter in your browser:
Hello OurChurch.Com webmasters,
How are you doing?
The last month has been pretty busy and fun for us at OurChurch.Com. We launched a partnership with United Methodist Communications and had a great time participating in the Catalyst conference. We've done a lot of interacting with many of you on Christian Web Trends, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, plus on the phone and through the help desk.
Can you tell we like to have fun and talk with people like you?
Keep reading to see the latest news, newest templates, another funny video.
In His Service,
IN THIS ISSUE
1) OCC Partners with United Methodist Communications
2) Putting Beacon out to Pasture
3) Blog: Practical Steps to Getting Started in Social Media – Step 7: Finally, Incorporate
4) Website Tips Videos
5) Funny Video: Worship Leader Throw-Down
6) Win $50 in the Bug of the Month Contest
7) New Fall & Breast Cancer Awareness Templates
No Coupon Here. It'll be on Facebook.
1) OCC PARTNERS WITH UNITED METHODIST COMMUNCIATIONS
OurChurch.Com has an exciting new partnership with the communications ministry of The United Methodist Church. You can read more about the details here. If you are Methodist or know some Methodist church leaders, spread the word. If you're a part of another denomination or church association, we'd love to talk about forming a similar partnership with your organization. Read our Organization Alliances page for more details.
2) PUTTING BEACON OUT TO PASTURE
Almost 3 years ago we launched our powerful, yet easy-to-use NE1 Website Builder. NE1 includes a number of leaps forward in terms of appearance, functionality, and performance.
We have continued to support the old Beacon web builder, but that time is coming to an end. The Beacon software requires other supporting software that is obsolete and no longer supported by its vendors. Therefore, we have put in place a plan to sunset Beacon.
- November 30, 2010 is the last day we will provide support for Beacon sites except to help with migrating to NE1.
- January 31, 2011 Beacon will shut down for good. All free Beacon sites will be canceled and all Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Starter package accounts with Beacon will be migrated to NE1.
For instructions and held with migrating from Beacon to NE1, see the full announcement.
3) BLOG UPDATE - PRACTICAL STEPS TO GETTING STARTED IN SOCIAL MEDIA - STEP 7: FINALLY, INCORPORATE
If you’ve followed the previous 6 steps, you should be a pro at your new social media platform. Now you’re ready to incorporate what you’ve learned through your personal use of the platform to lead your company, non-profit or church onto that network.
As I’ve said from the introduction to this series, I believe you’ve got to understand a social network as an individual before you can engage with other individuals as an organization.
The final step is...
Leveraging your personal social media experience to launch your organization
Other recent articles:
- Google Analytics, now with visual in-page indicators!
- Why (Web) Design is the Language of This Generation
- Blogging and the Power of the Personal Ask
4) WEBSITE TIPS VIDEOS
Every Monday this month, we've published another 2-3 minute video that show you how to do useful things with your website. Videos this month include tips on graphics & fonts, meta tags, and tables. You can watch all of them on the OurChurch.Com YouTube Channel.
5) FUNNY VIDEO: WORSHIP LEADER THROW-DOWN
You've heard of run-offs, face-offs, and bake-offs. See what happens when two worship leaders go head-to-head in a sing-off.
6) WIN $50 IN THE BUG OF THE MONTH CONTEST
To make everyone's experience on the OurChurch.Com website even better, we've giving away $50 every month to someone who reports a misspelling, grammatical error, dead link, or other problem in a "Bug of the Month" contest. Each bug you report will give you an entry into a monthly drawing we'll do for $50 towards OCC services. The more bugs you report, the better your chances to win. Congrats to Steve Fishwild who won this month's $50.
7) NEW FALL & BREAST CANCER AWARENESS TEMPLATES
We've got two new NE1 templates this month. First, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, so we created a pink template for those who may want to support that cause. And then we've got a fall template base on the image selected by our Facebook fans.
NO COUNPON HERE. IT'LL BE ON FACEBOOK
Just like last month, we're going to post a coupon to our Facebook page. It's not there now (publication time) but if you become a fan, you'll see it when we publish it.
Thanks for hosting your website at OurChurch.Com. Post your comments and questions concerning this newsletter here in our forums.
OCC Quick Links
- OurChurch.Com homepage - http://www.ourchurch.com
- Website hosting - http://www.ourchurch.com/hosting/
- Custom website designs - http://www.ourchurch.com/design/
- Marketing services - http://marketing.ourchurch.com
- Advertising - http://www.ourchurch.com/advertising/
My OCC Sites
- Available in email version only
My OCC Search Listings
- Available in email version only
"[In the Chilean miners rescue] We have just witnessed the real love family, friends, and strangers have for their fellow man. Real tears from real people. An almost indescribable event..." - PhillipLaSpino
Sound off on our message boards - http://forums.ourchurch.com/viewtopic.php?t=6424
Does your church do a fall festival?
NE1 TIP O' THE MONTH
Check out the new Website Tips Videos on the OurChurchDotCom YouTube channel.
WEBSITE SPOTLIGHT: Wesley United Methodist Church –
With the new partnership between OurChurch.Com and United Methodist Communications (http://blog.ourchurch.com/2010/09/29/ourchurch-com-is-now-the-preferred-website-design-provider-for-united-methodist-churches/), it seems natural to highlight one of our United Methodist Churches in this month’s newsletter. Wesley UMC is located on the west side of Aurora, Illinois and has been in ministry over 150 years. They hired OCC to redesign an existing website (http://www.ourchurch.com/design/) that they were unhappy with.
We used photos from their congregation and integrated them into their custom Flash header and image rotator. A few of the other features that are integrated into their site are a Media Gallery (for video, audio and photos), an eNewsletter mailing list manager, Staff Directory, Calendar and an integrated Event Registration manager. The main goals of this site are to serve as a portal of information for existing members of the church and also to welcome new visitors and show what a visit to Wesley UMC would be like.
- First Mennonite Church - http://www.fmcprettyprairie.org/
- The Master's Voice - http://www.themastersvoice.net/
- Conyers Church of God - http://www.conyerscog.org/
- Ministry Resources for Children's Workers - http://www.kidzministry.net/
Info on PowerPoints Challenge - http://www.ourchurch.com/help/help-powerpoints.php