MyOCC Login

Username:
Password:
Christian Forums, Christian Message Boards, Christian Discussion Forums
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips/issues for distributing an effective eNewsletter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Main Forum Page -> Website Hosting & NE1 Website Builder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdstein
OCC Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Tips/issues for distributing an effective eNewsletter? Reply with quote

Hello web administrators,

During the month of August we are focusing on eNewsletters - why they're important, how to do them effectively, the tools available, and more. This forum topic is a place for you to bring your questions/issues about eNewsletters. If you've been doing an eNewsletter for a while, we hope you'll tell others what you've learned from that experience...

- Does your website have an eNewsletter associated with it?

- If not, why?

- If so, how long have you been doing it and what have the results been?

- Do you have any problems/issues that are preventing your eNewsletter from being as effective as you think it can be?

- Do you have any insight about eNewsletters you can share with others?

In His Service,
Paul Steinbrueck
OurChurch.Com

Last edited by pdstein on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
betheltoledo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Smile

Yes, we have an eNewsletter associated with our church website. I think we've been sending it out weekly (on Wednesdays) for about a year. Since our members already get weekly news in their Sunday bulletins, this is a way for them to get mid-week news. Only a couple dozen of our church members have signed up for this newsletter.

I'm sorry I don't have any tips I can offer. And I don't have a lot of insight either, I guess. I'm basically winging it. I thought it sounded like a good idea so I went ahead with it. I have not received much feedback at all. So, I hope that means everyone is happy with it so far. Laughing

I am also the church secretary so I do get the news of the church first (usually Wink ) and I automatically update our website. Our eNewsletter contains the news from our website's "News And Announcements" page plus I add a few other tidbits. I also include a greeting, an inspirational article, the scripture for the upcoming Sunday service, and our Pastor's Sermon Topic.

I would think people would appreciate the newsletter. I hope they do. This way they can get our church's LATEST news right in their email mailboxes every week (even if they haven't been to the website lately). Plus, we still have a regular church newsletter but it only goes out once a month and, quite often, there is new news out there even before it arrives in our members' mailboxes. Visiting our website or subscribing to our eNewsletter are definitely the best ways to know what's happening at the church.

I'll be looking forward to reading what others have to say. Thank you for your focus on eNewsletters this month. I am sure that I have a lot to learn!

Who does God want to love through you today?
pdstein
OCC Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marti Lu,

Thanks for your message. Even though you claim to not have any tips or insight into newsletters, there is quite a bit of insight that can be drawn from your message...

- You don't have to be an expert to get started.
- Publishing it on a very regular basis is good because people know when to expect it.
- For churches, publishing the eNewsletter on Wednesday makes for a good mid-week reminder.
- Don't expect a lot of feedback from subscribers
- Lack of feedback is not an indication of the value of the newsletter. Newsletters tend to be one-way communication.
- eNewsletters are more timely and less costly than mailed, paper newsletters.

That's all good stuff to know.

In His Service,
Paul Steinbrueck
OurChurch.Com
thewills

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsletters are a very effective tool for letting those who have interest know whats going on, and e-newsletters are very cost effective.

Being Missionaries, we are on a tight budget, and it helps alot to be able to send an e-newsletter out. Plus it is very easy to do.

Like Paul said don't expect a lot of feedback, but the feedback you do get can be encouraging when it does happen, (for example just after sending newsletter out one month, we got an e-mail reply saying that the person really enjoyed reading our newsletter each month).

I like being able to post our newsletter to our website, plus being able to e-mail it out from the website has been a great help. Very Happy

In His Service,
Ken Wills
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily as to the Lord, and not unto men; Colossians 3:23
nancyb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: newsletter Reply with quote

As a former missionary and now a church member taking care of the Church's web page, I can say that I love the newsletters. I think that letting people know what is going on (even if you are not sure they read it!) is very important to missionaries and when we got some replys to our newsletters it blessed us in many ways! Sending news from a distant land is very cost & time prohibtive! If you have a special prayer request and try to send it by mail...you get the picture. When we went to churches, I would ask for emails and when teams came down to work, I asked for addresses & emails. By the time we went back to the States, we had quite a few email addresses. We don't send as many newsletters now to them as we did.

We send out our announcements Thursday or Friday about our Sunday ser. & what is going on the next week to our church members who have signed up for newsletters. We also send special prayer requests when we get them. We have a prayer chain plus the eprayers. I have heard several people say that they like knowing what is going on when they can't be there.
Thank You again for all that you do and God Bless,
Nancy
www.fromourhearts.net
www.owensboro1stgeneralbaptistchurch.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Main Forum Page -> Website Hosting & NE1 Website Builder All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: