MyOCC Login

Username:
Password:
Christian Forums, Christian Message Boards, Christian Discussion Forums
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Church Internet outreach strategies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Main Forum Page -> General Internet, Computer, and Communication Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdstein
OCC Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Church Internet outreach strategies Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

In conjunction with Internet Evangelism and Outreach Month, we thought it would be great if we could learn from each other how churches can better reach out to their communities online.

- Do you know of people who are attending your church because they found the church website online?

- Have you done anything with your church site to make it more appealing to non-Christians?

- Have you checked your church website's search rankings?

- Have you done anything to help improve your church website's search rankings?

In His Service,
Paul Steinbrueck
OurChurch.Com

Last edited by pdstein on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
betheltoledo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning! Smile

Well, I was waiting for someone else to go first. Plus, I was hoping to get ideas from others. But, that's OK, I'll start things out in a little way, I guess...

Last year, around the time of IE Day, I (together with our pastor) added a section to our website that I hoped might interest non-Christians who found our site and get them to thinking and questioning and searching the scriptures for the answers. I also hoped to help any new Christians who found our site and who might still have lots of questions. I have added to that section a little bit this year. We've also tried to be careful about not filling our website with church "jargon" so that anyone who finds our site will understand. We have a marquee in front of our church that we use to post news about church events that are open to the public. When nothing in particular is going on we use the marquee to post our website address. We have also added it to all correspondence and information that goes out from the church. But, no, I am not yet aware of any new church members or anyone who we have led to Christ because of it. I'm not discouraged exactly. I still believe that it's a good thing to do and, of course!, there's always hope! Very Happy

Who does God want to love through you today?
dhackett

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Convinced churches need separate church & outreach websi Reply with quote

I want to commend churches trying to get away from "churchese" language on their websites in an effort to do evangelism and reach non-believers.

But frankly, I have concluded that Church websites (for church members) are too valuable these days - and NEED to be focused on all kinds of activities, registrations, reports, and community.

What I'm driving at is that that kind of site is ultimately going to shove an evangelistic approach off to some corner of the main website.

Much better to LET the church website be for its members and already-friends. Then create a separate website that is devoted to an approach meant for non-believers to connect with them - exclusively. Find some angle - exploring spiritual questions, supporting the non-church community in addressing hard issues (eg homelessness), or whatever. And have only modest links/references back to the church or its website. The reaching out would have to be paramount on such a site.

Clearly some people are already decided to find and come to a church, so they look up the church's website for final decision on whether to come. But the bigger question is how to move the much larger body of people who are not about to be engaged with a church, but might be exploring spiritual questions as the avenue that might draw them toward Christ (and integration into a church).

Any thoughts on this division of labor?

Dave
pdstein
OCC Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for Internet Evangelism and Outreach Month 2009. Let's continue this conversation!

In His Service,
Paul Steinbrueck
OurChurch.Com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Main Forum Page -> General Internet, Computer, and Communication Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: