MyOCC Login

Username:
Password:
Christian Forums, Christian Message Boards, Christian Discussion Forums
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Webmaster newsletter - November 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Main Forum Page -> Website Hosting & NE1 Website Builder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdstein
OCC Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Webmaster newsletter - November 2005 Reply with quote

Hello OurChurch.Com webmasters,

View this message on the web with color and graphics in our newsletter archives at:
http://www.ourchurch.com/view/?pageID=177314

IN THIS ISSUE
=============
1) Important Password Security Update
2) 1,000 VISITORS, No Minimum Bid, Less than 24 Hours
3) Search, Weather, & More Coming to Your Site
4) Private Message Spam

<-------- newsletter sponsor --------->
Affiliate Revenue for Christian Webmasters
Place Christian or Church-based ads on your site
http://www.christianaffiliate.blogspot.com
<-------- newsletter sponsor --------->

1) IMPORTANT PASSWORD SECURITY UPDATE
As part of our ongoing efforts to make OurChurch.Com the safest web hosting service online, we have upgraded our user registration software to require more secure passwords. The upgrade prevents users from setting their password to their username and requires at least one number and at least one letter in each password. If your password matches your username or it is all numbers or all letters, please login to your Webmaster page and click the "Edit Contact Info" link to update your password right away.

We will begin automatically resetting passwords that do not meet this new security requirement next week.

2) 1,000 VISITORS, NO MINIMUM BID, LESS THAN 24 HOURS
In the past, weve auctioned banner ads that normally sell for $250 starting at 60% off by setting a minimum bid of $100. This month we are doing something unprecedented auctioning banner advertising with NO MINIMUM BID. You can purchase 50,000 banner ads which will bring up to 1,000 new visitors to your site for next to nothing.

This is a one-time event just in time for the Christmas season. If youve ever said to yourself, Id like more people to visit my site, but Im not sure if banner advertising will help, there will never be a better opportunity to see first hand what advertising on OurChurch.Com and our network of 7,000 sites can do for you. The auction ends Wednesday November 16 at 1:00 PM EDT - in less than 24 hours - so get your bids in ASAP.
http://forums.ourchurch.com/viewtopic.php?t=319

3) SEARCH, WEATHER, & MORE COMING TO YOUR SITE
Later this afternoon, OurChurch.Com will be rolling out a brand new "Site Tools" addition to our Beacon web builder. "Site Tools" puts Christian search, web search, Bible search, local weather, Verse a Day, and a translator right on your website. These tools will make your site even more useful to visitors and keep them coming back.

By default, the Site Tools will be displayed with the Christian search, web search, Verse a Day, Bible search, and translator. You can disable any of these tools individually or disable all the Site Tools using the new "Edit Site Tools" option on your Webmaster page. You can add the local weather feature by entering your city and state into the form. You can even add your own custom tool and organize the tools in whatever order you like.

4) PRIVATE MESSAGE SPAM
One of the features of the OurChurch.Com Christian Forums is private messaging. This enables any OCC user to send a private message to any other OCC user even though they don't know the user's email address. While this is a great feature which OCC webmasters can use to communicate with each other, it can also be abused. A spammer could register an OCC username and send private messages to other OCC users. The potential for abuse, however, is quite limited as a spammer would have to send one message at a time, which is time-consuming and inefficient, and we will permanently ban the user within minutes of being notified. If you receive any messages you suspect are spam or a scam, please forward them to us so we can take appropriate action.

Thanks for hosting your website at OurChurch.Com. Post your comments and questions concerning this newsletter here in our forums.

In His Service,
OurChurch.Com
peezy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I like the Site Tool and the weather feature also! Please explain what the "Extra" box is all about in the "Edit Site Tool" page. Thanks and God Bless.

P.S. Please let me know if my username and password is acceptable according to this newletter.

Very Happy
pdstein
OCC Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi peezy,

peezy wrote:
Hi! I like the Site Tool and the weather feature also! Please explain what the "Extra" box is all about in the "Edit Site Tool" page. Thanks and God Bless.

Glad you like the new Site Tools.

If you hold your cursor (mouse) over the "?" next to the Extra tool you'll see this explanation: "Add your own custom Site Tool here. Just enter the HTML into the box. Clear the box to disable it."

This enables you to add your own tool from another site. Say you find a script from another site that enables you to put Christian headlines, or a Proverb a Day, or an affiliate bookstore on your site. Just copy and paste the HTML for it into the Extra box and it will be displayed in the Site Tools bar.

peezy wrote:
P.S. Please let me know if my username and password is acceptable according to this newletter.

Not yet. It has no numbers in it. Please go to your webmaster page, click the "Edit Contact Info" option, and select a new password that has at least one number an at least one letter in it.

In His Service,
Paul Steinbrueck
OurChurch.Com
PastorBilly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Site Tools Reply with quote

Like the site tools feature. I'd put the "Verse of the Day" on if it were KJV--no big deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lesterj
OCC Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PastorBilly,

Don't forget about the "Extra" box in the new website tools. You can put your own tool in the "Extra" box. So, if you can find the script for a KJV verse a day, you can add that in the "Etra" box and have the verse a day in the KJV.

In His Service,
Kurt Steinbrueck
OurChurch.Com
nancyb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: website tools Reply with quote

I liked the idea but I don't like where it's at, can I change it? I turned it off because I didn't see any way to move it to the bottom of the page or even another page. If it can be moved then I will probably turn it back on. Thank You and God Bless, Nancy of "fromourhearts.net"

I know my password is ok but it is going to be changed!
lesterj
OCC Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nancy,

Sorry, the website tools cannot be moved. You can arrange their order, but they cannot be moved to the bottom of the page or to another page. It was intentionally put on the right collumn to create ballance and symmetry with the navigation menu on the left.

If your password contains both a letter and a number then it will not be changed.

In His Service,
Kurt Steinbrueck
OurChurch.Com
nancyb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: new tools Reply with quote

I checked with my husband and he agreed with me, he even suggested the other side but not where it is. He tried just having the verse of the day and that looked bad to us too. Sorry, wish it had worked for us because we do like it, just not where it is. Nancy of from our hearts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Main Forum Page -> Website Hosting & NE1 Website Builder All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: