MyOCC Login

Username:
Password:
Christian Forums, Christian Message Boards, Christian Discussion Forums
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web Video Discussion

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Main Forum Page -> Gold, Silver, and Bronze Accounts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pdstein
OCC Administrator


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 1499

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Web Video Discussion Reply with quote

December is Video Month at OurChurch.Com, so we want to initiate a discussion about video issues.

- Do you have a video on your site? If so, post a mesasge about what the video is about, why you added video, and what kind of and what impact it has had on your website and your organization.

- If you are considering adding video to your site, what questions do you have? What is holding you back?

In His Service,
Paul Steinbrueck
OurChurch.Com


Last edited by pdstein on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freeatlast
Regular Member


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: video Reply with quote

Hello pdstein,
I am currently looking at adding video. The file is about a gig so it takes some time to upload it., about 20 hours for me. I assume that I upload just like audio files, Correct? And that I add it to my site also just like adding an audio file, correct?
_________________
Isaiah 48:18, “Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.”
My Web Page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jittor
OCC Administrator


Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 287
Location: sitting in my chair at my desk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeatlast,

A Gig is huge for a video file. Audio files usually load much faster because they are already compressed and there is little to them. Video on the other hand is different. Your views could be sitting there a quite awhile waiting for the video to load and then play.

I would suggest compressing the video down and changing the video screen size. I could get into more detail but I might loose you. What file format is the video in?

In His Service,

Jon Harrison
OurChurch.Com
_________________
If you have any other questions please let us know.


In His Service,

Jon Harrison
OurChurch.Com

- The greatest thing the devil ever did, was to make us think he never existed! -
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
freeatlast
Regular Member


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the file in VTS_01_1 as well as compressed down to 100 megs through real player. I might try the compressed file, to see how it plays on the site.
_________________
Isaiah 48:18, “Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.”
My Web Page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jittor
OCC Administrator


Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 287
Location: sitting in my chair at my desk.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The compressed version is the way to go. You might also want to try compressing it into a .avi or .wmv or a quicktime. but make sure that when you compress the file you reset the screen size to smaller than 720x480 because video is made for tv screens and not for a small box on a computer monitor.
_________________
If you have any other questions please let us know.


In His Service,

Jon Harrison
OurChurch.Com

- The greatest thing the devil ever did, was to make us think he never existed! -
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
freeatlast
Regular Member


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is the problem I am having. I uploaded the 100 meg file. It was a rm file (real player). However to play the file the person has to download the entire file first to their computer and then it plays. That is not acceptable. It needs to play as it is downloading. I also have the same file in wmv. Will this start to play as it downloads? If not how can this be done? Confused
_________________
Isaiah 48:18, “Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.”
My Web Page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pdstein
OCC Administrator


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 1499

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeatlast wrote:
Ok here is the problem I am having. I uploaded the 100 meg file. It was a rm file (real player). However to play the file the person has to download the entire file first to their computer and then it plays. That is not acceptable. It needs to play as it is downloading. I also have the same file in wmv. Will this start to play as it downloads? If not how can this be done? Confused


Getting a video file to begin playing as its downloading is the same as for an audio file.

http://www.ourchurch.com/help/help-audio.php

I've uploaded my .rm file but it won't play. Why not?

RealAudio (.rm) format requires two files. The first is the music file itself. We'll call it music.rm for this example. The second file is a simple text file. We'll call it music.ram. Let's also assume your domain name is mysite.com.

First, upload music.rm to your site. For BEACON sites it needs to go in the /view/uploads/ directory. Then create a text file in Notepad (START > Programs > Accessories > Notepad). On the first line of the text document, type the URL of the audio file, such as http://mysite.com/view/uploads/music.rm

Now save that file as music.ram and upload it to your account in ASCII mode. For BEACON, it also needs to go in the /view/uploads/ directory.

To make the music play in BEACON, please see previous question, paying particular attention to the "Note." For all other sites, you can simply create a link to the music.ram file.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freeatlast
Regular Member


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now you have really lost me. can you do this in english?
_________________
Isaiah 48:18, “Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.”
My Web Page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pdstein
OCC Administrator


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 1499

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeatlast wrote:
now you have really lost me. can you do this in english?


What specifically has you confused?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freeatlast
Regular Member


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdstein wrote:
freeatlast wrote:
now you have really lost me. can you do this in english?


What specifically has you confused?


Hello pdstein,
sorry for not getting back, but I have been busy. Let's forget about the last question.

On my site I have loaded a video file in windows media. It works fine. Click the link and it plays right away. However the file is somewhat of poor quality. I have the same video in real player which is better quality. The problem is however that when I upload the real file and install it on my site instead of playing it trys to download it to my computer to be stored when the link is clicked. Why doesn't it play just like the media file and how can this be fixed?
_________________
Isaiah 48:18, “Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.”
My Web Page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pdstein
OCC Administrator


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 1499

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeatlast wrote:
pdstein wrote:
freeatlast wrote:
now you have really lost me. can you do this in english?


What specifically has you confused?


Hello pdstein,
sorry for not getting back, but I have been busy. Let's forget about the last question.

On my site I have loaded a video file in windows media. It works fine. Click the link and it plays right away. However the file is somewhat of poor quality. I have the same video in real player which is better quality. The problem is however that when I upload the real file and install it on my site instead of playing it trys to download it to my computer to be stored when the link is clicked. Why doesn't it play just like the media file and how can this be fixed?


To get a Real Media file (.rm) to begin playing while it's still being downloaded to your computer, you have to create a .ram file as I described before. Then upload it into your account and link to the .ram file instead of the .rm file.

If you haven't tried to create the .ram file according the the instructions, please do so. If you get stuck along the way, please explain where you you got stuck so we can help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freeatlast
Regular Member


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am stuck. What is this about a music file? You have me totally lost. I am trying to get an video to play not music. You tell me to upload "music.rm". I have no idea what you are talking about. How can anyone separate the sound from the picture? Then you talk about text. There is no text. it is a video. And what is ASCII?
As you see I have no idea what you are talking about. Why can't I just upload it like the media file and it play? Is it due to your end not being configured for this or what? Can you go through a step by step without the technical stuff?
_________________
Isaiah 48:18, “Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.”
My Web Page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pdstein
OCC Administrator


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 1499

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeatlast wrote:
Well I am stuck. What is this about a music file? You have me totally lost. I am trying to get an video to play not music. You tell me to upload "music.rm". I have no idea what you are talking about. How can anyone separate the sound from the picture? Then you talk about text. There is no text. it is a video. And what is ASCII?
As you see I have no idea what you are talking about. Why can't I just upload it like the media file and it play? Is it due to your end not being configured for this or what? Can you go through a step by step without the technical stuff?


OK, thanks for explaining where you are stuck. Can you tell me the filename or the website address of the video file you are referring to?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freeatlast
Regular Member


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello pdstein,
I deleted the file from the server to save space when it did not play correctly since it was about a 100 mg. Do you want me to upload it again?

pdstein wrote:
freeatlast wrote:
Well I am stuck. What is this about a music file? You have me totally lost. I am trying to get an video to play not music. You tell me to upload "music.rm". I have no idea what you are talking about. How can anyone separate the sound from the picture? Then you talk about text. There is no text. it is a video. And what is ASCII?
As you see I have no idea what you are talking about. Why can't I just upload it like the media file and it play? Is it due to your end not being configured for this or what? Can you go through a step by step without the technical stuff?


OK, thanks for explaining where you are stuck. Can you tell me the filename or the website address of the video file you are referring to?

_________________
Isaiah 48:18, “Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.”
My Web Page
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pdstein
OCC Administrator


Joined: 14 Jun 2005
Posts: 1499

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeatlast wrote:
Hello pdstein,
I deleted the file from the server to save space when it did not play correctly since it was about a 100 mg. Do you want me to upload it again?


Yes, that would be helpful. Then please post the URL (web address) of the video file.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Main Forum Page -> Gold, Silver, and Bronze Accounts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum