Joined: 14 Jun 2005
|Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:05 am Post subject: Webmaster Newsletter - June 2006
|Hello OurChurch.Com webmasters,
Summer is here and lots of things are heating up. School is out, temperatures are up, the World Cup is on, and here in Florida the first tropical storm of the season is just about over. Similarly, we have a wide variety of hot things to tell you about at OurChurch.Com from a special offer, to a guestbook issue, to a new graphics tool, and more.
View this message on the web with color and graphics in our newsletter archives at:
IN THIS ISSUE
1) Hot June Special - Save on Bronze Package and Ad-Free
2) Warm Up to the New Online Graphics Tool
3) Guestbook Spam Making Your Blood Boil?
4) Christian Web Trends Blog Heating Up
<------------- Advertisement -------------->
Advertise your Christian ministry or business here!
<------------- Advertisement -------------->
1) HOT JUNE SPECIAL - SAVE ON BRONZE PACKAGE AND AD-FREE
For the month of June OurChurch.Com is offering a year of our Bronze package and a Ad-free option together for just $179. That's a savings of $46, or more than 20%, off our regular prices. The Bronze package includes a free domain name, free set-up and configuration of your domain name, unlimited web pages, 200 megs of disk space, 4 gigs of bandwidth, 50 email accounts, audio and video capability, and more than 50 pre-installed scripts like forums, chat rooms, photo albums, and shopping carts. The Ad-free option removes all ads from your site, giving you a clean, professional looking website. More information about hosting packages and options can be found at:
2) WARM UP TO THE NEW ONLINE GRAPHICS TOOL
One of the most common questions we receive from our members is, “My pictures on my website are huge. How do I resize them?” We do have instructions in the help pages for how to resize images using the Paint program which is included with Windows on every PC. However, we are experimenting with an even easier way to resize images and we’d like your feedback. Please go to our forums, read more about this new tool, try it, and tell us what you think of it by posting a message in the forum.
3) GUESTBOOK SPAM MAKING YOUR BLOOD BOIL?
Several months ago we implemented a spam blocking tool for guestbooks and prayer request pages. While it has made some impact on the problem, our members continue to receive spam in their guestbooks on a regular basis from automated spamming programs. Today we started blocking all guestbook entries that include "http" (without quotes) in them. Our reasoning is that almost all guestbook spam contains at least one link, so this should block messages from most automated spam programs. At the same time, if a human signer of a guestbook includes a message with "http" in it, they will get a message explaining why their message was blocked, and they can simply post the link without the http.
4) CHRISTIAN WEB TRENDS BLOG HEATING UP
If you haven't read our Christian Web Trends Blog lately, you've missed some interesting articles. Pam shared how the Internet made her life-changing trip to Ireland possible. Last week's article concerning the importance of the local church has generated a record 31 comments so far. Yesterday we took a look at Yahoo! Answers as an opportunity for online evangelism. Check out the articles and post your comments.
Thanks for hosting your website at OurChurch.Com. Post your comments and questions concerning this newsletter here in our forums.
In His Service,
OCC Quick Links
- OurChurch.Com homepage - http://www.ourchurch.com
- Website hosting - http://www.ourchurch.com/hosting/
- Custom website designs - http://www.ourchurch.com/design/
- Marketing services - http://marketing.ourchurch.com
- Partner/Affiliate program - http://partner.ourchurch.com
- Christian Search - http://www.ourchurch.com/search/
- Daily scripture - http://devotions.ourchurch.com
- Christian Web Trends Blog - http://blog.ourchurch.com
- OCC message boards - http://forums.ourchurch.com
- OCC status board - http://status.ourchurch.com
- OCC help pages - http://www.ourchurch.com/help/
- OCC help desk - http://www.ourchurch.com/support/
OCC's NEWEST ADVERTISERS
- Average Joe Workout - http://www.ourchurch.com/ads/click.php3?bannerID=1089
May AWARD-WINNING WEBSITES
- From My Heart - http://www.frommyheart.org/
- Felix Pages - http://www.felixpages.com/
- JESUS WILL RETURN SOON - http://www.jesuswillreturnsoon.com/
- Hunting Creek Baptist Church - http://www.huntingcreek.net/
Info on PowerPoints Challenge - http://www.ourchurch.com/help/help-powerpoints.php
"Bird flu is a threat only to birds. Effect on humans is science fiction." - JMiller
Sound off on our message boards - http://forums.ourchurch.com
BEACON TIP O' THE MONTH
Resizing photos to the appropriate size can not only make your website look better but also cause it to load faster improving your visitors' overall experience.
WEBSITE SPOTLIGHT: Hearts Without Borders - http://www.HeartsWithoutBorders.org
Hearts Without Borders is a Non Profit Mission Organization whose sole purpose is to reach out to the poor outside of our borders. Currently serving on the outskirts of Juarez, Mexico, the ministry is building and repairing homes and churches, funding two feeding shelters, assisting the local church in various outreaches and meeting basic needs as they arise. Annette Perkins of Hearts Without Borders retained OurChurch.Com to develop this Custom CMS Express site. Annette reports that even though the site is very new, already the response has been encouraging and support for the ministry is building. She admits to having very little Internet experience yet she is able to add and edit pages on her own thanks to the intuitive editing tools available within the CMS (Content Management System).